|SS Maloja, 21000 tonnes, 15300 ch, deuxième du nom, au service de la P and O sur les lignes de l'Orient (collection Agence Adhémar)|
En janvier 1924, ils commencent un service bimensuel entre Londres et Sydney avec escales à Colombo et Melbourne.
Le 11 septembre 1939, Maloja est réquisitionné par l'Amirauté et converti en marchand armé à Bombay. La transformation inclut la disparition d'une cheminée afin d'augmenter l'angle de tir des canons de DCA. Il rejoint alors la patrouille du Nord, entre les îles Shetland et Islande, sous le matricule F26 et devient HMS Maloja. Il y rencontrera quelques succès dans ce nouveau rôle.
Il est rendu à P and O le 6 novembre 1941 et la compagnie l'utilise en transport de troupe. Une cheminée plus courte est alors réinstallée. Le 11 décembre 1942, Maloja prend part au débarquement allié en Afrique du Nord.
En janvier 1947, il est à Londres au Royal Albert dock pour reprendre des habits civils. En 1950-1951, il participe au rapatriement des civils néerlandais après l'indépendance de l'Indonésie. Le 19 janvier 1954, il termine son dernier voyage à Londres. il sera ensuit mené en Ecosse pour démolition.
On 2 November 1923 RMS Maloja took to the ocean on its maiden voyage. Its design had emphasised reliability and comfort over speed. It had broad decks and rode steadily, although (because of a small rudder) it would prove to have difficult handling. On 18 January 1924 the two ships began running the fortnightly service between London and Sydney via Colombo and Melbourne.
On 11 September 1939 Maloja was requisitioned by the Admiralty and converted to an armed merchant cruiser in Bombay, India. The conversion included having one funnel removed, to increase the arc of the anti-aircraft guns. After the conversion it joined the Northern Patrol as HMS Maloja, No. F26. The Northern Patrol covered the area between Shetland and Iceland.
On 6 November 1941 Maloja was returned to P & O and was converted to troopship duty. A shorter version of the funnel was re-installed. On 11 December 1942 the ship took part in the Allied landings in North Africa.
On 15 January 1947 RMS Maloja was returned once more to P & O and was berthed at the Royal Albert Dock in London for full civilian reconditioning, by R & H Green & Silley Weir. Both Maloja and Mooltan were returned to service. After the independence of the Republic of Indonesia in 1948 the repatriation of Dutch civilians back to the Netherlands was begun. In August 1950 Maloja assisted with the repatriations and this was completed by 1951. On 19 January 1954 Maloja arrived at the Tilbury, London, on its last voyage. On 2 April 1954 it was moved to Inverkeithing, Scotland, where it was broken up for scrap. British Iron and Steel Corporation (Salvage) Ltd paid £165,000 for the vessel; the scrap work was performed by Thomas W Ward Ltd.
|Croquis des décors du restaurant de seconde classe du RMS Mooltan et du RMS Maloja|
The interior design was in keeping with the high standards of the Line. The public rooms were luxurious, completely decorated and lofty. All first and second class cabins had portholes. The dining saloon seated 330; it was panelled in the Georgian style, finished throughout in ivory white, with the doors and architraves in polished mahogany. The reading and music saloon was in the style of Louis XVI with large French windows.
Pour en savoir plus sur la P and O (Peninsular and Oriental), voir notre blog.